Monday 5 March 2012

Faith is not a Genre




Last week in class there was a lecture on Christianity and music. When Professor Harris asked to name a Christian rock band that I was at a loss, except for Faith + 1. I am a big south park as some of you can tell from the title of my blog space, Jesus and Pals a direct reference to South Park.

Cartman bets Kyle that he can make a platinum C.D before he does,  and joins forces with Butters and Token forming a Christian Rock Band, replacing Baby with Jesus. All of Faith +1 songs become a hit among the Christian community, only to loss the bet with Kyle, never to receive a platinum album because the Christian record companies give out gold, frankincense and myrrh.

Although I may not be familiar with any Christian bands in the realm of tranfomanist artist I am better versed with Hip-Hop.  It is my go to genre, and there are many artist that are lyrically more raw poetic form in the ways they weave Jesus, pain, God in relation to social realities like Nas, Tupac, Common, Erykah Badu than comparatively to what we have seen coming from Bieber or Lady Gaga. One of my favorite hip hop / vocalist who I think is more appropriate for this Blog to share, began her singing in churches, the amazing Lauryn Hill. Many of her song have biblical undertones, this song for me has always stuck out the most.

In her song "To Zion" which is a song dedicated to her first born son, is a story of her contemplating what to do.

Unsure of what the balance held
I touched my belly overwhelmed
By what I had been chosen to perform
But then an angel came one day
Told me to kneel down and pray
For unto me a man child would be born
Woe this crazy circumstance
I knew his life deserved a chance
But everybody told me to be smart
Look at your career they said,
"Lauryn, baby use your head"
But instead I chose to use my heart

Now the joy of my world is in Zion

A metaphorical dynamic is at play here as theses couple of lines, are similar to the story of the Virgin Mary when Gabriel told her that she would be the mother of Christ. As something she had to perform, and with deep contemplation she choose her heart over her career.

How beautiful if nothing more
Than to wait at Zion's door
I've never been in love like this before
Now let me pray to keep you from
The perils that will surely come
See life for you my prince has just begun
And I thank you for choosing me
To come through unto life to be
A beautiful reflection of his grace
See I know that a gift so great
Is only one God could create
And I'm reminded every time I see your face

Zion is not only her sons name but a reference to Jerusalem, and this is where her joy is.  In this we see that is was not Lauryn Hill that choose, but him, being God or possibly her son; wanting to be born, only God could have created such a creature.


In my opinion this poetic imagery speaks more to me than Judas by lady Gaga or Bieber and conveys a more powerful message, personally I feel it is very authentic contribution by Lauryn Hill, as she keeps in her faith within her musical career.  Knowing that faith has no genre, I think that the way faith is portrayed with social realities in hip hop is far complex and dense and intricately woven than the superficial attempts by Gaga an Bieber.

No comments:

Post a Comment